The MUGGS - FEATURE
I had a chance to "check out them Muggs".
The Muggs, a three piece blues rock band from Detroit, Michigan, formed in 2000 with three original members: Danny Methric on guitar & lead vox, Tony DeNardo on bass guitar & backing vox, and Matt Rost on drums. Todd Glass later stepped in to take over on the drums.
From February 2000 through September 2001, The Muggs enjoyed winning the hearts of fans throughout metro Detroit. However, this was short lived when DeNardo suffered a stroke which nearly ended his young life of 28 years. DeNardo was able to rejoin the band and almost two years to the day, they were on the stage again in September 2003. This time, he was playing his bass lines on a Fender Rhodes piano through a bass amplifier. The result........The Muggs were better than ever!
Since then, The Muggs have been taking the world by storm. They have toured the United States as well as overseas in countries like Spain, Germany, France, Holland, Switzerland and the Netherlands.
They have seen much success in the media such as:
- Airing in the entire nation of Canada & all of Michigan for a one hour live concert and documentary as part of a rock and roll series, "Rock n' Roll Safari" on PBS
- They auditioned for the Fox TV show, "The Next Great American Band" and were selected to the Top 12 out of 10,000+ applicants. They aired on four episodes and got to play two originals for the entire nation to see.
They've won many awards including:
- "Best Rock Band of the Year 2007" - Riff 2 (local WRIF radio's on line station)
- "Outstanding Rock Artist/Group" - 2008 Detroit Music Awards
- "Outstanding Rock/Pop Instrumentalist", Danny Methric - 2008 Detroit Music Awards
- "Outstanding Rock/Pop Recording", “On With The Show” - 2009 Detroit Music Awards
- "Outstanding Video / Independent Budget (Under $10,000)", "Slow Curve" - 2011 Detroit Music Awards
- “Outstanding Rock/Pop Artist/Group” - 2013 Detroit Music Awards
- “Outstanding Rock/Pop Instrumentalist”, Tony DeNardo - 2013 Detroit Music Awards
The Muggs have opened for various classic rock and national acts including Jack Bruce of Cream, Mountain, Robin Trower, Cactus, Savoy Brown, Thin Lizzy, Ten Years After, Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple/Black Sabbath, Johnny Lang, Candlebox, Ian McLagan of Small Faces & Faces, North Mississippi Allstars, Warrant, the Verve Pipe, Goober & The Peas, Electric Six, & the Detroit Cobras.
They are currently being played around the U.S. on Pandora.com, Spotify and Grooveshark! They can also be found on AMI/Rowe Internet Jukeboxes.
They have 1 LIVE double album and are about to release their 4th studio album, Straight Up Boogaloo, on 3/21/15. Be sure to catch a live show from these 3 amazing musicians as you are sure to be floored both visually and audibly.
Check out the interview:
Watch the full "Extended" interview with an extra 15 minutes of footage (57:27) here
Standard length interview (42:40):
If you are a musician and would like to become a member, please register now.
If you are interested in supporting the efforts of MotorCityMusicians.Com, please visit the Merch page.